Monday, August 17, 2009

The Calzone, A Superior Pizza

Calzones are one of my favorite food groups (a sub-group of the "pizza" category). The Cougareat at BYU has a Freschetta that I used to go to religiously. Every week (usually Tuesday, before I'd spent my meal card money on groceries) I'd stop by for my Hawaiian, Pepperoni or Steak and Alfredo Sauce bit of turnover goodness.

But really, the more I think about it, Calzones are more than just a good meal. They are like a giant slice of life. Although, their not really slices, they're more like little bundles of goodness all jumbled up together.

What do life and calzones have in common? You can't really tell what either is really like until you take a big bite out of them, and occasionally each give you gas.

They have a gooey interior wrapped up in a shell of flaky, buttery, tougher deliciousness. Although the insides are good, the outside is what makes it all come together.

Also, let's be realistic- an uncooked calzone is NOT delicious. It has to be put through the adversity of the oven before it can be consumed. A calzone may have potential before, but it will never reach it if it doesn't get baked. You know, being baked is probably a fairly uncomfortable feeling- but if it doesn't go through that, how in the world am I supposed to eat it?? What a tragedy- an almost waste of a perfectly good meal. We have to be cooked to get rid of all the bad stuff, like salmonella. Erm, the calzone, I mean.

I think it's important to remember, however, that without the insides (the "flavoring"), all we get is a piece of bread. Just like without the crusty outsides, all we get is a salad of sorts. Balance, people- there needs to be balance in all things.

I should start my own advice column- what do you think?

:)

2 comments:

That Chick said...

i love calzones. wise words indeed. and that freschetta place is B.A.. love it.

Caitlin said...

you are so odd