*WARNING!*
*Seriously long blog below**Author hereby gives you permission to skip parts, if you so desire, because you are falling asleep*
*Seriously long blog below**Author hereby gives you permission to skip parts, if you so desire, because you are falling asleep*
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."
So begins one of my favorite novels, by Charles Dickens.
Do you ever write just because it makes you feel better? I do. When I'm upset or frustrated I almost always have incredible urges to run and write. Kind of ironic, since I hate just straight running, and was literally forced to write by my mom when I was little (because, again, I hated it).
Writing is kind of an outlet for me because it helps me organize my thoughts. Right now I'm kind of in a jumble of feelings/emotions and it's probably going to difficult to sort them out.
Running just makes me dead tired so I can't think of anything.
I'm leaving for Paris in less than 24 hours. I'm 19 years old, attending Brigham Young University, and doing what I want in life- majoring in International Relations. I have some of the best friends in the world who, without fail, make my belly ache from laughter whenever I see/talk/am with them. I'm having fun dating (okay, not so much this summer), and meeting tons of new people. I'm spending the next semester exploring PARIS, France, London, Italy, and other exciting places in Europe. I've wanted to do this my whole life, and I have so many opportunities in front of me!
Yesterday evening my mom and dad got a phone call from the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City, UT. They have two Multiple Myeloma specialists there, who, after hearing about my dad's case, URGED my parents to send my dad to them ASAP. In case you hadn't heard, these last couple of rounds of chemo for my dad haven't had as well of a response with the cancerous cells as the doctors had expected. They've been pretty surprised at how aggressive this case is; Multiple Myeloma is a bit like uncharted waters for them, and they're not really sure how to continue treating it at Dartmouth Medical Hospital. The doctors at HCI are specialists who have treated over 5000 cases.
As soon as parents heard from them, they decided that we needed to send my dad there. So, at 3:30 this morning my parents left for the airport, and at 6:30 am my dad left for Utah. The doctors anticipate him staying in the hospital for up to six months, since they plan on doing a bone marrow transplant IMMEDIATELY (read: next two weeks). Blah, I don't know all of the technical details, sorry. If you are a future oncologist or would just like to know more, I bet my parents have written about it on their blog.
What this also means is that my family is moving to Utah as soon as possible. My mom's goal is 2 weeks. We need to clean our house, pack and move all in the next two weeks. All of this has transpired in the past 48 hours or so. And I'm leaving for France.
So, the next two weeks or so the two cities I'm going to be focused on are Salt Lake City, UT and Paris, France.
And boy, am I going to have fun in France. YES, I AM SO EXCITED. But I'm also probably going to be pretty worried about Dad. He and my mom keep telling me though that the best thing I can do for them is to have a blast in Paris. Apparently they're going to be living vicariously through me (them, and about 100 other people too (who, btw, have all tried to convince me to fit them some way into my suitcase; somehow, I think that'll tip me over the allowed luggage weight)).
Like my dad has told me over and over again, worrying isn't going to help anything. He's in good hands. We've seen Heavenly Father's hand many times through all of this, especially as the answers and phone calls have come at the end of a giant fast that many people have helped with in participating. I have so many relatives and friends who aren't members of our faith but who fasted as well for my dad this weekend. Thanks for adding your faith to ours and strengthening all of us. Heavenly Father is aware of all our needs, and He answers prayers. I know that.
Whew, if you've read this whole thing, I congratulate you. It is a beast- and I feel better. :)
And to everyone who has helped in any way, EVER, thanks so much! It means the world.
So begins one of my favorite novels, by Charles Dickens.
Do you ever write just because it makes you feel better? I do. When I'm upset or frustrated I almost always have incredible urges to run and write. Kind of ironic, since I hate just straight running, and was literally forced to write by my mom when I was little (because, again, I hated it).
Writing is kind of an outlet for me because it helps me organize my thoughts. Right now I'm kind of in a jumble of feelings/emotions and it's probably going to difficult to sort them out.
Running just makes me dead tired so I can't think of anything.
I'm leaving for Paris in less than 24 hours. I'm 19 years old, attending Brigham Young University, and doing what I want in life- majoring in International Relations. I have some of the best friends in the world who, without fail, make my belly ache from laughter whenever I see/talk/am with them. I'm having fun dating (okay, not so much this summer), and meeting tons of new people. I'm spending the next semester exploring PARIS, France, London, Italy, and other exciting places in Europe. I've wanted to do this my whole life, and I have so many opportunities in front of me!
Yesterday evening my mom and dad got a phone call from the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City, UT. They have two Multiple Myeloma specialists there, who, after hearing about my dad's case, URGED my parents to send my dad to them ASAP. In case you hadn't heard, these last couple of rounds of chemo for my dad haven't had as well of a response with the cancerous cells as the doctors had expected. They've been pretty surprised at how aggressive this case is; Multiple Myeloma is a bit like uncharted waters for them, and they're not really sure how to continue treating it at Dartmouth Medical Hospital. The doctors at HCI are specialists who have treated over 5000 cases.
As soon as parents heard from them, they decided that we needed to send my dad there. So, at 3:30 this morning my parents left for the airport, and at 6:30 am my dad left for Utah. The doctors anticipate him staying in the hospital for up to six months, since they plan on doing a bone marrow transplant IMMEDIATELY (read: next two weeks). Blah, I don't know all of the technical details, sorry. If you are a future oncologist or would just like to know more, I bet my parents have written about it on their blog.
What this also means is that my family is moving to Utah as soon as possible. My mom's goal is 2 weeks. We need to clean our house, pack and move all in the next two weeks. All of this has transpired in the past 48 hours or so. And I'm leaving for France.
So, the next two weeks or so the two cities I'm going to be focused on are Salt Lake City, UT and Paris, France.
And boy, am I going to have fun in France. YES, I AM SO EXCITED. But I'm also probably going to be pretty worried about Dad. He and my mom keep telling me though that the best thing I can do for them is to have a blast in Paris. Apparently they're going to be living vicariously through me (them, and about 100 other people too (who, btw, have all tried to convince me to fit them some way into my suitcase; somehow, I think that'll tip me over the allowed luggage weight)).
Like my dad has told me over and over again, worrying isn't going to help anything. He's in good hands. We've seen Heavenly Father's hand many times through all of this, especially as the answers and phone calls have come at the end of a giant fast that many people have helped with in participating. I have so many relatives and friends who aren't members of our faith but who fasted as well for my dad this weekend. Thanks for adding your faith to ours and strengthening all of us. Heavenly Father is aware of all our needs, and He answers prayers. I know that.
Whew, if you've read this whole thing, I congratulate you. It is a beast- and I feel better. :)
And to everyone who has helped in any way, EVER, thanks so much! It means the world.
Sincerely, Dani
PS- I just looked at the time, and I think I'm crazy. It's midnight. And I have an international flight to catch tomorrow.
Meh, oh well. I can sleep when I'm dead. :)
PPS- I promise to write about much more light-hearted things next time. Like PARIS! :D
4 comments:
Dani my dear,
I read every word. Your mother's insistance and your talents are paying off, your blog is very readable.
It is indeed "the best of times, and the worst of times" I am glad your faith gives you the base to put your trust in God, He will help shoulder your worry. And write, write, write, it is a direct line to Him.
I am so glad you took the time to talk to me and helped me with the pictures at Rainee's funeral. Thank you.
I will follow your travels with much interest, when you have the time to blog!
Love,
Aunt Scott
Dani,
I love love reading your blog and of course read every word of this. Your faith amazes me! Keep it up! I know things will turn out the way they are supposed to. These challenges in our lives are the means whereby we grow. Heavenly Father is watching our for you and I am praying for you. I hope Paris is everything you ever dreamed of! Way to go and chase your dreams! You are my hero :) Love you!
Care
Dani,
I admire you so much and I am so grateful for the uplifting things you write in your blog. I hope you are having the time of your life in France. Please keep me updated on the highs and lows of life! I miss you my dear roomie!
wow, you sound like a really strong person. :) Have tons and tons of fun in Paris and best of luck!
Post a Comment