Saturday, September 26, 2009

Count the Ways

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..." states the often cliché phrase which begins the poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. If we can count the ways that we love someone, how do we show it?

I found this couple kissing in front of L'Eglise de la Madeleine. They briefly reminded me of the Periodical section of the Harold B. Lee library, another place where couples seem to like to unscrupulously mack on each other's face. This couple has the most advantageous luck of being in Paris, however, and are therefore infinitely cooler. What I think is interesting, however, is that they are making out in front of a church. I guess location is not a huge factor (that's why it's called PUBLIC displays of affection, right?) but I would feel pretty awkward. Maybe that's just me.



This Chopin aficionado shows her admiration by listening to works by the master musician on her iPod as she pays her respects to his final resting place. The muse on top of the memorial cradles her lute, admiring the instrument that enabled her to experience Chopin's music, while the woman on the left models her example with her iPod, the modern-day instrument through which she enjoys his beautiful music, too.

"S'il vous plaît, je suis franciscainne..." pled this woman near the doors of Notre Dame. The original St. Francis took up a life of poverty to show his devotion to God. He gave up his material possessions to show that he loved God more than any earthly thing.


We usually leave flowers, pictures, notes, and other memorabilia at cemetaries to show those who have gone on ahead that we honor and cherish their memory. This stone was placed at the foot of the grave for a little girl. It reads "God watches on you little angel."


After the death of a loved one, we show our love by remembering them; and sometimes, because we miss them, we visit them. From a young couple making out to a widow mourning for her husband, the way we show our love progresses with us. To finish with the ending of Elizabeth Browning's poem, "Smiles, tears, of all my life! and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death."

5 comments:

Care said...

Dani! I love love love your posts! You are a brilliant writer :) I'm so glad you are having fun in Paris!! I miss you greatly! We need to Skype soon! What times do you get on?? I miss you! Loves!

Dani said...

Cara!!! Yes, yes yes we do! Skype, soon! I'll send you a message. We'll figure it out! I MISS YOU TOO! and I want to hear all about Hawaii!

Lisa Sweet said...

What a beautiful post, Dani! You are a talented writer. I am glad you are having a great experience in Europe. God bless!

BTW -- some priests and nuns wear wedding rings to symbolize their "spiritual marriage" to Christ. It does kinda throw ya when you see it, doesn't it?

Dani said...

Hey, thanks for the clarification Lisa! I didn't know that about the rings, and it did throw me. What a cool symbol though. Thanks! Miss you guys :)

Dani said...

***Notice: I edited this blog after hearing Lisa's information. Thanks Lisa. :)